A Good Samaritan was stabbed more than 130 times by a scissor-wielding maniac as he tried to protect an elderly woman, a court heard.

Jon Cooper Taylor, 60, rushed to the home of the 83-year-old when he heard crockery smashing.

The self-employed IT consultant burst in to find a distraught elderly woman attempting to eject crazed Kenyan Rafiq Kashmiri, 49, from her flat.


When Mr Taylor tried to reason with him, Kashmiri pulled out a pair of scissors and attacked the divorcee.

The dad-of-one from South Norwood died at the scene from loss of blood.

Kashmiri admitted manslaughter due to diminished responsibility at the Old Bailey today after psychiatrists found he was suffering from manic depression.

Kashmiri first met the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, when he assisted her after she fell on a bus in May last year.

He helped her gather her shopping together and waited with her until an ambulance arrived.

To say thank you, the woman invited him for ‘high tea’, but he unexpectedly arrived late on the evening of June 23, 2006.

Detective Inspector Bob Webb said: “She had obviously been reluctant to allow him at that time of night and as it got later she asked him to leave.

“His behaviour had started to become a little strange and she was uncomfortable having him there.”

When Mr Taylor entered the flat he was in no way confrontational, even sitting down in a chair but suddenly Kashmiri attacked him with scissors.

The woman also suffered cuts to her hands as she tried to pull Kashmiri off Mr Taylor.

During the struggle, the Kenyan thumped her in the jaw leaving her unable to speak.

Neighbours who heard screams called the police and an ambulance and Kashmiri was arrested at the scene.

In interview, he claimed he was acting in self-defence after Mr Taylor attacked him for no reason.

But when the woman regained her speech, she was able to tell officers the truth.

Kashmiri, of Valnay Street, Tooting, pleaded guilty to manslaughter due to diminished responsibility and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Judge Richard Hawkins QC adjourned sentencing until December 14.