A POLICE officer groomed two young girls for sex and stored their phone numbers on his force radio while staying with his parents in Stockport.

Married father Mohammed Arfaan Ali Hussain, aged 27, was told by a judge that he had committed a gross abuse of trust and was jailed for three years.

Hussain groped and fondled a 15-year-old girl after taking her for a drive in his car on Christmas Day and also tried to get together with a 13-year-old.

A jury at Derby Crown Court had found him guilty of four counts of sexual grooming and one of intimate touching between December 20 and 29, 2006.

Hussain, of Ealing, London, has now been disqualified from working with children and placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.

He met one of the girls, then aged 13, at Buxton Railway Station on December 19, 2006.

Prosecutor Jeremy Janes said: “At the time of the offences he was living and serving as a police officer in the Metropolitan area (London).

“But his parents live in the Stockport area, and in December he was staying with them with his wife and young child.”

The girl told how Hussain asked for her phone number and stored it in his police radio so they could meet up on a later date. She gave him the number of a phone she thought had been lost because he “seemed strange”.

But the next day the phone turned up and the girl found she had already received a missed call and text from Hussain.

She told a 15-year-old friend what had happened and they called Hussain from the older girl’s phone.

Mr Janes said after a series of text messages and calls, Hussain met the 15-year-old in Buxton on Christmas Day at 5pm.

He said: “She went for a drive with Hussain to a supermarket in the Buxton area and he kissed her, cuddled her, and fondled her.

Three days later the 13-year-old’s grandmother got a call from Hussain who gave his name as PC Khan.

He said he was trying to contact her granddaughter in connection with a minor crime, but Mr Janes said it was an “unhealthy persistence” in trying to contact a 13-year-old girl.

Judge John Burgess told Hussain: ” You chatted the girls up, you took their phone numbers and put them in your police radio.

“You told them you were a policeman, no doubt to impress them.

“This was a gross abuse of your position as a police officer.”

Miss Catherine Silverton, defending, said the convictions had already damaged his life “irrevocably”.

“He has lost his employment,” she said. “This is not a situation where he has lost his job, he has lost his career.

“These convictions will affect him for the rest of his life.”