A Failed Iraqi asylum seeker has been jailed after sexually assaulting two women.Adbulghafar Nabi groped a female student and wrestled her to the ground outside a halls of residence after she rejected his advances.

Just hours before, Nabi had touched another woman in a lift and followed her to her car.

Nabi, who pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault, was sentenced to 28 months imprisonment at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court yesterday.

Judge Paul Glenn recommended that Nabi, also known as Hassan Hussain, be deported back to his native country once he had completed his prison sentence.

Paul Spratt, prosecuting, told the court that Nabi, aged 21, of no fixed abode, had been drinking heavily on October 5, 2007, before carrying out his offences.

He approached his first victim, a 36-year-old woman, in a lift at a block of flats near Hanley Park. As they were descending he touched her bottom then when they got out he followed her to her car.

Later in the day, Nabi followed two women into halls of residence in Stoke before approaching a 25-year-old student at the back of the building.

Mr Spratt said: “He approached her and made several comments to her such as, ‘You should marry me and come back to Iraq with me’. He tried to engage her in further conversation by offering her a cigarette and moved closer to her.

“She looked around to see if she could see any of her friends, but there was nobody there.

He then put his right hand down her top and grabbed her waist. She stubbed out her cigarette on his hand and escaped.”

Nabi pursued her and pulled her to the ground and she ended up lying in the gutter, with her attacker squatting over her.

He covered her mouth and nose with his hands to prevent her calling for help as he tried to touch her.

A caretaker in the halls of residence then came out after being alerted by two other girls, and Nabi quickly made off. He was arrested in Hanley Park the following day, but when questioned he said he had no recollection of the attacks.

Nick Tatlow, defending, said: “The victim of the second assault was obviously traumatised, but she was not seriously physically hurt.

He did not touch the genitals, as seen in more serious sexual assaults.

Judge Glenn said because the offences happened over a very short period of time, he was persuaded the defendant did not present the greatest risk of committing similar offences in the future.

He sentenced Nabi to six months imprisonment for the first offence and 28 months for the second, to be served concurrently.