A 27-year-old man has been jailed for sexually assaulting a teenage girl.

Mahmood Nawaz, of Newbury Road, Heald Green, Stockport, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing before Manchester Crown Court Crown Square to inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and sexual assault.

He was sentenced yesterday to 18 months imprisonment and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for five years.

The offences occurred in September 2007, when Nawaz befriended his then 14-year-old victim at Chelford Market in Cheshire.

He swapped numbers with the victim, knowing her age and asked to meet her.

Nawaz called her later that day when she was with two of her friends, aged 14 and 15 and arranged to meet her near Macclesfield. Her friends would not let her go alone and went with her.

Nawaz suggested they go to a hotel. After failing to get a room at a hotel in Macclesfield, they all travelled to a hotel in Heald Green, where he paid for a room.

After a short while the victim went with Nawaz to a shop near to the hotel where he bought alcohol. As they left the shop he went back in and bought a packet of condoms.

They all drank in the hotel room and Nawaz left for around 40 minutes. When he came back he had changed his clothes.

As they all sat on the bed watching TV Nawaz removed a condom from the packet he had earlier bought and asked the girl if she wanted to have sex with him.

He tried to climb on top of her and kiss her. He also tried to put his hands down her jeans but she pushed him away.

The victim became scared of Nawaz and asked her friends not to leave her alone with him.

Nawaz became angry claiming he had spent a lot of money on the victim and her friends.

The victim’s friend became very concerned about what was happening and went down to the front desk and called someone to come and collect them. He also spoke to the hotel staff about what was happening.

Two members of staff went up to the room and asked them all to leave.

Nawaz drove off in his van while the victim and her two friends waited for someone to pick them up.

When they got home later that night, their parents contacted Cheshire Police to report them missing.

It was when the missing reports were finished off the girl and her friends told police what had happened.

Cheshire Police informed officers at Greater Manchester Police and Nawaz was arrested a few days later.

Detective Constable April Hopwood of West Didsbury Volume Crime Team said: “Despite knowing how old his victim was he made arrangements to meet her, plying her and her friends with alcohol in an attempt to get what he really wanted.

“Luckily, the children realised what was happening was wrong and managed to put an end to the situation.”

Anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault can contact Greater Manchester Police on 0161 872 5050 or 999 in an emergency. GMP has specially trained officers in place to provide a first class response to victims and help support them through the criminal justice process.

St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester, can also be contacted on 0161 276 6515. This provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and medical aftercare service to anyone in Greater Manchester who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and people can access them either as a self-referral or via Greater Manchester Police.